5 Things You Can Do To Fight the Corona Crisis
Support South African people struggling in the economic fallout of COVID-19.
When you feel the most helpless, you actually have the power to do the most good.
As we move into social distancing and self-quarantine, it’s natural to feel isolated. Staying away from other people, though necessary, doesn’t fulfil our need to take action, to do something in the face of this crisis.
Fortunately, even in isolation, you can help the most vulnerable among us. Because we are never truly alone in our human community.
Here are five things you can do to fight in the face of COVID-19:
- Donate to the UWSA COVID-19 Fund. Your gift supports community resources that serve struggling families in South Africa. Workers are losing wages due to event cancellations and business closures. Kids who rely on free breakfast and lunch at school risk going hungry. As food pantries and other community resources are inundated, donations to the UWSA COVID-19 Fund help ensure these vital relief services stay open and accessible.
- Direct people to COVID-19 24-HOUR HOTLINE NUMBER: 0800 029 999.
The COVID-19 24-HOUR HOTLINE hotline is working on the front lines of the pandemic. Expert specialists provide real-time information on social services and other resources to those in need. If you know someone who is struggling, or just looking for a source of reliable information, tell them to contact 0800 029 999.
- Spare something for the food pantries. As stores run out of bulk food and toilet paper, food pantries are struggling to fill their shelves, even as more people are coming in for help. Consider donating what you can spare, especially non-perishable food and toiletry items. Contact the COVID-19 24-HOUR HOTLINE ON 0800 029 999 to find out what your local food pantries need most and where to drop off donations.
- Call your friends and family. Loneliness is as damaging as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. Even during isolation, modern technology allows us to stay connected. Checking in on friends and family is more than polite right now, it’s essential. And don’t forget elderly neighbours or others living alone.
- Take care of your mental health. If you’re stuck at home, keep busy with hobbies, try out arts and crafts, pick up an old musical instrument, organize family game nights, and step outside for fresh air and exercise. You can’t take care of others unless you take care of yourself.
Even in these uncertain times, no one is powerless to make a difference. Small acts, taken together across the country, can change the course of the pandemic, bolster those facing economic challenges, and protect the most vulnerable.
All donations can be directed to:
United Way South Africa NPC
The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
Account Type: Business Current Account
Branch Code: 019205
Account Number: 022729496
PBO Reg.: 2013/22875/08
Swift Code: SBZAZAJJ
Reference: UWSA COVID-19 FUND